Saturday, August 28, 2010

Here are the Details!


Monday, August 23 I was on my way home from school (New Paris) on CR 142 (going west) to pick up Karli from the babysitter's in Waky. I was coming up on CR 15 where there are some trees and a house right at the corner, along with a stop sign for traffic on 15. All of the sudden I see this white F150 truck speeding through the intersection (going south) as I was right there. I remember saying oh no and locking my arms. Then the next second the airbag exploded and I could see nothing. I remember slamming on the brakes at some point and just not being able to stop. (The skid marks are after the impact.)

Here is a picture of her truck.

The next thing I knew my Toyota Highlander was on the wrong side of the road in a corn field. The neighbors came down to help. I had my cell phone right beside me and called 911. I was pretty shaken up and could not remember where I was. Some other calls must have come in and she suggested the road I was on and then I remembered.

Steam/smoke was coming out of the car so I wanted to get out! But the door was jammed. The neighbor helped pry it open for me. Finally he got me out and I called Rob right away. I felt ok. I felt a little pain in my hip, neck, and shoulders but nothing major. I was up walking around. The other ladies truck was on the other road in the corn so I could not see it from where my car landed. She came over and apologized right away wondering if everything was okay. She told me she did not see the stop sign at all!! She had three children with her, one of them was taken to the hospital because of a cut on his head.


Rob happened to be on his way to the Goshen hospital to see his uncle who happened to be in critical condition due to an infection. He got there soon after the cop and ambulance. So we just stood around while they got all the information.

It is a miracle that neither of us were injured badly! We were both driving around 55- 60 mph!! I hit her right in the bed of her truck, just behind the wheel. We think that the highlander is totaled but are waiting to hear from their insurance. You should have seen all the debris on the ground. Rob said that it is because the vehicle is made to absorb all the shock. I think we would get another highlander, even though it got a bad rap last year!

I am just amazed that I am still here today! It is a miracle!

It was a very difficult day, though. Nathan came home injured from football practice. He jammed his arm as he fell and he couldn't move it. I took him with me to the doctor Wed. and now we have to go to an orthopedic doctor next week.

Then that night, Monday, we got a phone call that Gene, Rob's uncle, passed away. He had parkinson's disease and had surgery to help his shaking two weeks earlier. Somehow he got an infection and just went downhill very quickly. I wish Rob could have seen him before he was gone. We had the viewing and funeral this week.

Through all of this you stop and think about what could have happened. I am so thankful for what I have, too often I am unsatisfied and want what others have. I am just reminded how quickly it can all be taken away. I need to make every moment count! God has me here for a reason and I need to be more aware of my impact here. I have been a little too caught up in the busyness of life and the things I want. What is really important?? I think my relationship with God and the others in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment